Sunday, October 07, 2007

Name Recognition

After a lunch meeting last week, I was walking back to my office with a vendor who is working with my company. Let’s call this vendor, “Mark” (which is easy to do, since that’s what I’ve called him the past 10 years I’ve known him). On our way back to my office, we came upon a man that Mark and I both know. We know him, as does practically everyone in town, because he’s a respected businessman, philanthropist and civic leader in the community. A few years ago, he served on the Board of Directors of the company I work for.

Over the years, I have run into Mr. Respected Businessman many times (one time, even literally, I believe). I have seen him at community events, public meetings and even been to his home for a fundraiser or two. Because he was a director for my employer, and because my job puts me in periodic contact with those board members, I have driven him to a meeting and helped carry his luggage (just so you know the nature of our relationship).

So every time I see Mr. Businessman, it’s easy for me to call him by name. But I always make sure to introduce myself, because, from the blank look on his face, I’m pretty sure he doesn’t have any idea who I am. He is always gracious, and assures me he remembers me well, ol’ Tom ol’ pal. But you can just tell when someone’s grateful for an explanation of how you know them.

So, anyway, Mark and I are walking down the street, and we see this distinguished gentleman. Because I know that this man knows Mark (I am the lowest man on this three-level totem pole), I prepare to introduce myself again.

But I am surprised when Mr. Businessman reaches out his hand to me, and says, “Hi, Tom. Is there any particular reason why you’re hanging around with people like this?” as he gestures to Mark.

I am sure I immediately broke into a huge grin of recognition. He has not only recognized me, but did it in the presence of my colleague. Now, someone else now knows that I am worthy of this great man’s recognition.

After we make additional small talk and Mark and he trade a few gentle jabs, we part and go our ways. I spend the rest of the afternoon feeling pretty good.

It’s only when I as sitting at my desk later that I realize why Mr. Businessman had accurate name recall for the first time in our relationship. I notice that I am wearing my company-issued security badge, complete with my photo, my company’s logo, and my name in large, easy-to-read type. Mr. Businessman no more remembered my name or affiliation today than he did any other time we’ve met. But today he had the benefit of being able to read my name badge.

I chuckled to myself that I was so prideful that someone recognized me. But the incident made me wonder if anyone would recognize me not because of my employer, but because of my affiliation with Jesus Christ. Instead of a name badge, Jesus provided His disciples with another cue that would help people recognize them. “By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." (John 13:35 NIV)

It’s nice to be recognized by someone important. It would be better to be recognized because someone saw that I followed someone important. I gotta work on that.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Real Live Preacher said...

Nicely written, Tom. Funny as usual and with a good point. You do this well. Poeple like that man meet a lot of people. i try to give them credit for wanting to know my name enough to look at the nametag and be obviously happy to be able to call me by name.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Marcus Goodyear said...

Funny thing about name tags. It takes humility to wear one. I knew I was going to like Mark Roberts when I saw him wear his name tag the entire weekend at Laity Lodge. He was the speaker. Wearing his name tag was a way of saying, "Hey, I'm just like you."

5:00 PM  
Blogger Tom Petersen said...

Thanks for your comments, guys. As an interesting God-incidence, our pastor shared a message on reaching out to others. One of his lines was that old chestnut, "there's no sweeter sound to someone than the sound of their own name." Truth.

9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice. I enjoyed the subtle humor and good point at the end.

-C.S.

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree nicely written with a bit of hummor/sarcasum.

Christian Apparel | Christian T-Shirts

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home